KiOS

Redesign of a kiosk management interface for restaurant staff

Role
User Research
Information Architecture
Wireframing
Usability Testing
Design System
Duration
7 weeks, Jun - Aug 2020
Tools
Figma, Miro, Trello, Zeplin
Team
1 UX designer(me)
1 marketing manager
2 engineers

Background

Self-ordering kiosks are becoming a growing need at many restaurants especially with the pandemic because they allow restaurant customers to go directly to the storefront and place orders themselves through a tablet at the store without any contact.

As a result, restaurant often needs to manage & configure the kiosks to ensure they display appropriately for customers.

I worked on revamping the staff-facing user interface through research, wireframing and prototype testings to help optimize the workflow.

The Challenge

When I first joined the team, one of the main problems for their current kiosk software was that the back-end settings interface has a lot of limitations and usability issues, and I was asked to

The Solution

Updated Backend Interface

Providing restaurant staff a cleaner interface with quick access features as well as clear copy and visual cues for better work efficiency

Optimizing the Task Flow

Increase the visibility of the features that relate to the main user goal - deactivating items and options

Flexible Deactivation Flow

Adding flexible setting options for the main user action while making sure to fulfill different user needs and edge cases

My Process

Understanding the Problem

To understand why this design is needed, I talked with my internal team, and learned that originally, the app was built by engineers listing all the required functionalities in the app without taking consideration in how a restaurant staff would use this in a specific context, so it’s not very intuitive in the actual use scenario.

I identified the main goal for this redesign to be:

To increase restaurant staff’s productivity by optimizing operation flow & minimizing task completion time on kiosks

User Interviews with 7 visitors & 2 staff members

Understanding the Users

To really understand how the restaurant staff would interact with the app in a specific use context, I made a persona to synthesize my findings based on some in-depth discussion with my team

Tina is working as a manager at a small coffee store. Her store owner recently deployed a self-serving kiosk for customers to place orders. Everyday Tina needs to make some adhoc changes to the kiosk so that it displays appropriately for customers.

Main Frustration

Inefficient Task Flow

The first main user frustration is that performing tasks didn’t feel efficient with the existing user interface. I focused on addressing this pain by first improving the information architecture of the app to optimize user flow, and then updated the look and feel of the interface to make it easier to interact with.

01

Refining Information Architecture

To more fully understand how I can do a redesign, I first decided to look at the information architecture of the app to really examine the basic structure of the app so that I can organize content that will be used at a higher frequency & make them more accessible to restaurant staff

To increase the visibility of the key features relating to the main user goal, which is deactivating items & eliminate the features that restaurant staff don’t need to use often such as settings, I broke down the app into two parts to match the main & secondary user goals.

Wireframing

02

Updating Dashboard Interface

As a first step, I updated the back-end dashboard screen because this is the first screen the staff will see when they get to the back-end interface.

Since I know from research that deactivating items is the most common task staff will perform, I want to make sure they have the easiest access to all the items right away.

Usability Testings & Iterations

Insight 03

“Item options will typically come back to stock the next day”

Iteration

Added an option for staff to choose whether they want to auto-restore the item at the end of the day, which will help to make their lives easier so they don’t need to go back to the settings and reactivate it again.

Main Frustration

Confusing and cluttered UI

Another main frustration that I wanted to address was the confusing and cluttered UI. This caused challenges for the staff to find the action button or the content they are looking for because the whole app interface is just too overwhelming, which can affect staff’s work productivity as well.

As I was iterating my designs along the way, I made sure to remove all irrelevant information that staff don’t need to see while completing their tasks

Final Design